The Northern Macedonian Ministry of Interior has said that a potential terrorist attack by radical groups supporting the terrorist organisation “Islamic State” (IS) was prevented last week.
According to the announcement made on Friday night, the organisers of the potential attack have been identified and searches carried out in several places, after having received intelligence from a “partner country” regarding IS supporters’ “potential plans and intentions for committing a terrorist act.”
They also said that raids took place in “several locations…taking away objects and devices related to the possible attack.”
The Ministry of Interior, however, did not provide any further information on the nature of the threat or any arrests.
The US embassy in Skopje, meanwhile, has raised an alert on its Internet portal of a higher risk of terrorist attacks in Northern Macedonia. Terrorist organisations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology intend to attack civilians, including US citizens, a message from the embassy said Friday. US citizens were called upon to maintain a “high level of vigilance”.
The Balkan country, which officially changed its name to Northern Macedonia last week, following a resolution of its long-running dispute with Greece, has seen some 15 nationals travel to fight alongside Islamic insurgents in Iraq and Syria.